The Ryder Cup is one of the world’s most prestigious golf tournaments, showcasing the best players from Europe and the United States as they battle it off on the green over six-days in Scotland. The Ryder Cup transformed the iconic Gleneagles PGA Centenary Course into a fully immersive RFID environment with highly interactive brand activations integrated with social media. 100,000 guests were given RFID wristbands to engage with sponsorship activities around the site, making for a unique and memorable connected event experience.
1. To deliver the best possible guest experience, lifting the event beyond the standards previously set
2. To give sponsors and official partners more value in their brand activation opportunities, strengthening brand relationships created with their target customers
3. To extend online digital reach for the event and sponsors by integrating social media with on-site brand activations
Our Intellitix Approach
Event organizers of The Ryder Cup recognized that their valued sponsors and commercial partners would benefit greatly from an elevated brand experience that moved beyond traditional logo placement opportunities. Partnering up with Intellitix, The Ryder Cup deployed RFID Experiential solutions that connected brands with customers in a meaningful and creative way.
Intellitix developed seven custom brand activations tailored to each brand’s objectives and the event as a whole including major sponsors BMW, Johnnie Walker, Standard Life Investments, Active Scotland and more. Across 33 event touch points, RFID wristband technology excited guests to become more than just sports spectators, they became event and brand advocates on-site and online.
Guests registered their personalized RFID wristband and linked it to their Facebook and Twitter accounts. Upon arrival at the event, guests were able to share their support for their favorite team by giving a virtual ‘High Five’ for Team USA or Team Europe with a simple tap of their RFID wristband. Continuing their event journey, patrons also took part in other RFID brand activations including simulated competitions with live leaderboards, test drive opt-ins, cashless VIP lounge, and scavenger hunts with prize giveaways.
Fan engagement levels were tracked in real-time, allowing brand partners to gain customer data and measure sponsorship ROI immediately. Some of the results of Intellitix’s Experiential deployment at The Ryder Cup include:
- 59,176 email accounts linked to RFID wristbands
- 44,527 total on-site brand interactions
- 5,818 miles walked by visitors who took part in Active Scotland’s ‘Walk the Course’ brand activation
- 46% of visitors pre-registered their RFID wristband
- 44% of visitors who participated were aged 45-65
RFID technology and the interactivity it brings to brand activations is the future of major sporting events and sponsorship initiatives. The Ryder Cup was a great success that delivered an enhanced event experience to passionate fans from all over the world.
Our Event Success
We have had extremely positive feedback from both the audience and from sponsors, who are always looking for additional ways to amplify their sponsorship. We are certain that RFID technology and the interactivity that it brings in our brand activations will become the future of major sporting events. We are very proud to be one of the first to offer this to our audience.